Excellence in Teaching and Leadership
Teachers, school staff and leaders put students first every day. Our strategy will ensure they have the knowledge, skills and tools they need to support improved student outcomes and learning.
How we will get there:
- Develop a provincial school leadership framework to support principals and vice principals as leaders in their schools to meet the needs of students, parents and wider school communities.
- Create an innovative and results-based professional learning framework for teachers and school staff to support high-quality learning and address the evolving needs of today’s educators.
- Enhance professional development, particularly in the areas of digital literacy, K to 8 mathematics, K to 12 language arts and newcomer/English as an Additional Language education.
- Implement a provincial strategy to support new teachers in the first five years of their career.
- Create a school staff recruitment and retention strategy to address workforce needs in rural, remote and northern communities and limited supplies of French and Indigenous language teachers.
- Coordinate enhanced training opportunities for Educational Assistants, including French Educational Assistant certification.
- Establish a provincial teacher bargaining framework and remove principals and vice principals from teacher bargaining units.
These are just some of the priorities to support teachers and school leaders through Excellence in Teaching and Leadership—one of four pillars for student success in the Better Education Starts Today: Putting Students First strategy.
We are asking teachers for their innovative ideas to improve student outcomes. Learn how to submit a project to the Teachers’ Idea Fund.